Murphy’s Upholstery is a small business of craftsmen which has continuously operated for over 75 years. Founded in 1934 by Mrs. Francis Murphy during the Great Depression, Murphy’s supplemented the family income by making slipcovers, draperies, and re upholstering small pieces. After Mrs. Murphy’s death, her son, Mr. Paul Murphy took over. Retiring in ’96, he sold the business to its present owner, Mr. Michael Walker. Murphy’s grew, and eventually moved to a larger home now located at 1705 W. Gate City Blvd ( Formerly W Lee Street ) near the Greensboro Coliseum.